July 13th 2009
VICTORIAVILLE PRESS RELEASE - JUlY 2009
Victoriaville, July 13, 2009
Dear Funeral Service Professional:
In the last few days there has been a great deal of confusion caused by various media reports concerning our recent decision to close our original plant in downtown Victoriaville.
I wish to set the matter straight:
• This is not about the closure of the Victoriaville Group but about the closure of one of our manufacturing facilities, the old original factory. Production for the remainder of the Victoriaville Group will continue across town at our new state-of-the-art facility.
• A little more than a year ago a property developer from Quebec City offered to purchase the downtown property on which the old original factory stood and operated for more than 60 years.
• A deal was reached in April with Claude Dumont accepting the offer to purchase.
• The company was granted an eight-month period in which to continue operations before vacating the premises.
• Having studied various scenarios regarding relocation, Claude Dumont made the decision to cease operations at the end of November 2009 and to retire after a career of 55 years in the funeral industry. This particular closure will impact approximately 30 employees.
• My father wants to clarify that the building/property had not been for sale and had it not been for the perseverance of the property developer, the operations of that particular facility would have continued beyond 2010.
For three generations and more than six decades, one idea has inspired us -- offering a full range of products and services that represents the best quality/price ratio in the market. With that in mind, this closure will help us to modernize this particular range of products to ensure we respond to your evolving needs as well as the needs of the families who put their trust in your goods and services.
We want to reiterate that the $ 30 million invested in the last few years will allow the 400 men and women in our manufacturing facility to continue to build all our wood caskets here in Canada. Thank you very much for your continued support and rest assured that we are stronger than ever!!!
Alain Dumont FCMA, CA
President Victoriaville Funeral Supplies Inc.